Thursday, July 2, 2009

Artists for Conservation


Artists for Conservation is a non-profit, juried association of artists dedicated to wildlife and habitat conservation, biodiversity, sustainability and environmental education through art.

The 500 members participate in benefit sales, sponsored expeditions, an advertising program, awards, a newswire and an events calendar in order to raise both money and awareness.

Shown above is a watercolor sketch done by Alison Nicholls during a sponsored expidition in Zimbabwe to study the endangered Painted Dogs, a genus separate from wolves, dogs, hyenas or jackals. Alison lives in New York and regularly travels to Africa. Regarding her process when creating paintings from sketches, she says, "I find I need to be out of the studio so I can clear my mind of any distracting images. I must admit that it can be quite bizarre walking in a snow covered park in New York while in my mind’s eye I see elephants taking an evening drink from the Chobe river!"

In addition to various locations in Africa, AFC has sponsored expiditions in Bhutan, Siberia, Mongolia, northern Canada, Panama and along the headwaters of the Ganges River.

No comments: