Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Keith Jacobshagen - Abstract Realism


Keith Jacobshagen graduated from the Kansas City Art Institute, received his MFA from the University of Kansas and became a professor at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. He has retired from there, but not from painting. Immense skies, low horizon lines and distant perspectives have dominated his paintings, which are usually done in oils (on canvas, paper and birch panel) and occasionally in watercolor. Working both plein air and in the studio, he paints sizes from 8"x8" up to 24"x24". The one shown here is oil on paper, 9"x10." The one shown below is 9"x28" (also oil on paper).

He studied with Robert Sudlow and Edwin Walker Dickinson, both of whom combine realist and abstract tendencies.

Of his time with Sudlow, Jacobshagen writes, "My first oil painting with Bob was made on a mild overcast day. I don't remember where we set up but around an hour into painting it began to snow. It was late in the afternoon and the light was beginning to fade so I started to pack up my gear. As I was putting everything in the car I heard "Sud", who was about ten yards away, yelling, "what are you doing, you're going to miss the best part." I got my kit out and started back to work. It was snowing harder and Bob was just a vague figure enveloped in a white cold confetti of snow but I could tell he was in a kind of rapture of painting and seeing."

There's a newspaper article here about an exhibit last fall at Kansas City’s Kemper Museum of Contemporary Art which included Jacobshagen. "His art isn’t trendy or wildly conceptual. But Jacobshagen is among the top painters working today, a master of the landscape who adds new dimensions and perspectives to the traditional subject matter."

No comments: